Collaborating with OES
Is your office interested in exploring a collaboration with OES?
Below is a list of questions that can help you start to think about whether the challenge you’re working on may be a good fit for the types of projects our skills are best suited for:
- Does the program have an outcome of interest that depends in part on people’s actions (e.g., individuals taking up a program, adhering to appointments, providing accurate information)?
- Does the program contain a clear touchpoint between the individual and program (e.g., a communication channel, a signup point)?
- Is the outcome of the program already reflected in administrative data that is collected (or could be easily collected) by the agency? At what level is this data collected (e.g., individual, facility, state)?
- How many units (e.g., individuals, facilities, states) are being served through this program?
- Would it be possible to assign units to different versions of an improvement in order to compare outcomes and learn what works best (e.g., half of program recipients receive information presented in a standard way, and half in a modified, research-insight based format)?
Think you have a good fit?
We’re excited to work with a variety of agencies, but naturally, we do not have the ability to respond to all project proposals. We consider each opportunity using the criteria described above, and also consider our teams’ current makeup of skillsets and resources to assess our ability to collaborate.
Here’s how to get started:
- Send us your initial responses to the questions above in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to start the conversation
- Someone from our office will reach out to you to learn more
- Work with an OES team member to identify an area of collaboration
OES is partly a cost-recoverable office. We often use Inter-Agency Agreements (IAAs) under the Economy Act to set up the terms of some projects and determine the cost of reimbursing our experts’ time. IAAs help us to more accurately plan to ensure you are getting the relevant staff your project requires and dedicated support to be held to our high standard of evaluation rigor and research integrity. We know that not everyone has experience executing IAAs - our team can help make this as painless as possible!
- OES will draft IAA forms for you to review and complete with agency info
- OES will work with you to finalize the IAA forms
- Get to the fun part!